This position requires an individual who has significant employee and labor relations experience, deep subject matter knowledge, and strong communication and interpersonal skills that enables the individual to work successfully on a broad spectrum of employee and labor relations issues and projects. The position supports Amazon Web Services (AWS) in the Asia Pacific, Japan and China region (“APJC”). The position covers Japan, together with other APJC countries as required.
The central objective of Amazon’s employee relations team is to ensure our organization’s treatment of employees is fair, respectful, and consistent with our framework of our core business values and objectives. To support that objective, this position’s responsibilities fall into proactive and reactive categories. The individual will work as a project manager on proactive programs that improve local and network employee relations. The individual, for example, will work proactively to:
· Partner with business leaders and HR teams to create and sustain positive employee relations programs and best practices
· Design and conduct multiple positive labor relations trainings and communications
· Design, collect, and analyze multiple levels of employee feedback
· Conduct, analyze and action plan from multiple levels of employee feedback
· Partner to engage in continuous improvement in communication vehicles and practices
· Analyze, diagnose, design, and revise people programs, policies, and practices to sustain positive employee relations
The individual also will also undertake a significant amount of reactive work on critical employee relations issues that are highly sensitive and typically can only be successfully completed with limited time, such as conducting workplace investigations and advising on challenging employee situations. Balancing time between projects and crisis-response is a critical component for success in the position.
The position reports to the APJC Principal of Employee Relations within AWS. The positon will be based in Tokyo and is a full-time position that will likely require travel in the APJC region, up to 25% of the time over the course of the year.
· At least seven years direct experience in employee relations, with a strong background in workplace investigations, and/or labor/employment law
· Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree, JD, or other specialized training in labor/employee relations a significant plus
· Solid understanding of Japanese employment & labor laws. Understanding of employment and labor laws in other jurisdictions in APJC region a plus.
· Fluent English and Japanese language skills
· Experience in designing and delivering successful training programs
· Technically proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, & PowerPoint
· Experience working in unionized settings a plus
· Able to pass a comprehensive background and reference check
· Team player with strong written and oral communication skills; excellent public speaker
· Strong interpersonal and persuasion skills, enabling individual to establish partnerships working with senior leaders and across organizational lines
· Able to handle confidential information in a mature and professional manner
· Highly analytical thinker and problem solver
· Proven attention to detail; extremely organized
· Acts with sense of urgency, bias for action, fast pace, and desire to thrive in a dynamically growing environment
· High-quality judgment and sound decision-making
· Strong project and time management skills with ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects to closure
· Confident and innovative thinker; isn’t satisfied with “checking the box” or just pulling out “what we did at my last job”